Everyone's favorite topic - rules! The goal here is to make the game more enjoyable for all participants. I am in 3 other worlds, and they all have private rules. All they really do is set expectations for owners. Once you know the expectations, there is no controversy whatsoever, which I think that we can all agree is a good thing.
1530 is unique beacase Lance has always tried to find owners that are local and new to the game. Since this is such a complicated game at first, it is important to give newbies some slack. With that in mind, here are some options:
Minimum Win Requirement
The idea here is that if you win more than the minimum then you have the right to run your team however you best see fit. You can spend 10 million on players and 40 million on prospects if you win games (read: field a competitive squad). Here are some of the rules taht I have seen:
- Over the course of two seasons a team must maintain at least a .350 win percentage or they will be removed from the league.
- There is a two season win minimum of 120 games
- All owners that are present for two consecutive full seasons must win at least 120 games at the Major League level, and all owners that are present for a full season must win at least 50 games at the Major League level.
- Another idea is a grace period for newbies. They have one year before the rules apply to them.
Potential Other Rules
I only have one league where there is more than a minimum win rule. But here are some options
- Minimum roster sizes (must have more than 25 on each minor league squad)
- Maximum prospect budget (can't spend more than 30 million on prospects in any given year)
- Minimum payroll (must spend at least 30 million on players in any given year)
There are others, but these are the ones that I have seen. So now, please vote to your right and let's be done with this. Once I have a mandate from the vote on the blog, I will put it to a vote on Trade Chat. A rule must be approved by the majority of all owners (17 or more) and not > 50% of those that vote.